Baked Sweet Potatoes with Smoky Black Beans
This month’s nutritious and delicious recipe is brought to you by Integrative Holistic Health Coach and Culinary Nutrition Expert Rebecca Price. Rebecca Price founded Nourish by Rebecca, a company dedicated to producing healthful gluten-free & dairy-free products, hosting cooking classes and creating healthful recipes.
Having suffered with ill health from irritable bowel syndrome from childhood to young adulthood and then diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerances. Nourish by Rebecca was born out of Rebecca’s desire to create delicious food, using healthful ingredients that can be enjoyed by everyone – whether gluten or dairy intolerant or not.
Sweet potatoes and black beans are such a popular combination, do a quick search on the internet and you’ll find lots of recipes featuring this duo. Maybe, it’s a popular combination due to the flavours working well or the textures complimenting one another, I personally love this combination as not only are they delicious together but both ingredients are great sources of fibre which is beneficial for supporting gut health.
As someone who was diagnosed with IBS then subsequently food intolerances I am aware of how important fibre is for gut health. Fibre is a nutrient that we tend not to get enough of in our diets. Both soluble and insoluble fibre help support healthy digestion and as our cells don’t digest fibre it provides a food source for the good bacteria in our intestines. However, if you are not used to having lots of fibre in your diet I’d recommend starting slowly to allow your body (and the good bacteria) to adjust.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed & dried thoroughly
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed, washed & sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. chilli powder (use more or less for your preference)
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper, if using from a jar, drain all oil from pepper
- 1 x 400g tin of black beans, drained & thoroughly rinsed.
- salt to taste
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- lime wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork or sharp knife and place on the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until cooked all the way through.
- About 15 minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking, heat the olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once the oil is warm add the sliced spring onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the garlic and spices. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant, stirring often to prevent spices from burning.
- Next, add in the diced roasted red peppers and rinsed black beans and give everything a stir to coat the beans and peppers with the spices.
- Cook over a low-medium heat for about 10 minutes. If you think the mixture is becoming too dry, add a splash of water.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven.
- Place the potatoes on plates and serve with the smoky black beans. Add the fresh coriander and avocado on top of the black beans and squeeze over some fresh lime juice.
For more information on Nourish by Rebecca head to her website where you’ll find product details and lots of delicious recipes or follow her on Instagram @nourishbyrebecca