My easy berry compote takes just 5 minutes and only uses 3 ingredients. In addition you can store it in the fridge for a week, or freeze in portions ready to use at short notice. As the compote sets, get started on making the French toast.
French toast is a great way to use up bread which is a bit stale, or has been left in the freezer for too long and has dried out. As bread stales, there is an increase in something known as resistant starch. Resistant starch can be beneficial for your gut microbiota as it is able to pass through the digestive tract to feed the microbes, acting in similar ways as prebiotics. So make the most of your stale bread by transforming it into a delicious brunch which will make you feel good on the inside as well as outside.
• 250g fresh or frozen fruits such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, cherries
• 1 tsp honey (optional if the fruit are already sweet)
• 10g chia seeds
• 1 medium egg
• 50ml milk of choice
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 slices of stale bread, such as sourdough
• 1 tsp oil of choice for cooking
• Fresh or frozen fruits
• Yoghurt, crème fraiche or dairy free alternative
1. Place the blueberries, and honey if using, into a pan and cook on the lowest heat on your hob, stirring occasionally. Cook for around 4 minutes till all the fruits have burst open.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding in the chia seeds. Stir in and allow to thicken.
3. Meanwhile, mix the egg, milk and vanilla extract together and let the stale bread soak. Leave for a few minutes to allow the liquid to be absorbed.
4. Heat a frying pan over a medium-low heat and add the oil.
5. Fry the soaked bread till golden brown, around 2 minutes on each side.
6. Serve with the chia berry jam, fresh fruit and yoghurt.
WHEN YOU JOIN